Sunday, April 24, 2011

Course Reflection 02

Well, here we are five weeks into the quarter and time is flying by. It seems like just yesterday I enrolled in this course having no clue what design was or what designers do. Needless to say, I've learned quite a lot of information regarding design in the last 5 weeks and have had a great time doing so. Now, for the course reflection over the past few classes.

These past few classes have been packed with some fun assignments. I must say, I really enjoyed both the scavenger hunt and the "found faces" journal entry. Just as the patterns assignment, both of these projects forced me to view my surroundings in a different manner. For the scavenger hunt, I had to focus on buildings and objects that I would normally not even look twice at on my way to class. They were always just buildings to me. But for the assignment, I was able to get some background not only on why they were designed and who designed them, but also I learned some interesting things about how they were constructed and all the thought and planning that went into designing them.

I also learned more about how much designers take accessibility into account when they are in the process of designing a new product or structure. I couldn't help but think of an episode of Top Gear (a British TV show all about cars) where they tested out a new, cutting-edge wheelchair designed by Toyota.


I like the fact that accessibility is so crucial in the process of design nowadays. It was refreshing to learn that people with disabilities are really being thought of when it comes to new structures or products. Of course, as Gabe mentioned about the handicap ramp in the back of Hopkins, it still has a bit of a way to go. Taking the ramp all the way to the architecture library in Knowlton was very cool though, as it really proved a point of how the building was designed to be completely accessible to everyone.

As for the "Going Green" lecture, it was a bit of an eye-opener. I have always been one of those people who never thought global warming was real, the world isn't going to end in 2012, and yes, there are greenhouse gases that are affecting the ozone layer but hey, I'm not going to be living by the time something bad actually happens. But this lecture kind of taught me that for designers, it's not about designing something that is going to work great and make life a little easier for everyone, but also designing something that can be disposed of in a way that is healthy for the environment. Design is not just about the current generation, but rather present AND future generations. When I thought of going green in this way, I could see why people want to get on board with it; it's about making sure the earth is safe and sustainable for all future generations. If nothing is being done to make sure that products and the making of products nowadays are being designed with the earth in mind, then it is only going to get worse in the future. And if our future generations have to change the way they live because the pollution is way out of control, or the ozone is all but gone, then design and all designers have failed.

No comments:

Post a Comment