I certainly enjoyed this assignment because it gave me a chance to go out and experience design in my own backyard. I enjoyed the time I spent with my partner, Gered Bowman, and felt that this was an enjoyable project for the both of us.
For this project, Gered and I teamed up with Zack S and Bridget M, although we technically were two seperate groups. We started off by going to the Wexner Center to take a picture in front of a building designed by Peter Eisenman. Something I found interesting about the construction of the Wexner Center was how Eisenman constructed the main passageway in alignment with the Columbus street grid in an attempt to connect the building and university with the rest of the city. So here is a picture from
clue 3.
 |
| Me in the passageway of the Wexner |
Our second stop was to figure out
clue 4. We found, by googling on our phones, that Philip Johnson designed the Science and Engineering Library on OSU campus. One interesting detail about the building we all found interesting was the main archway. As stated in the tour given by Gabe towards the beginning of the class, the main arch was made to be much larger so people would know which one to walk through.
 |
| Gered in front of the SEL |
Our next destination was for both
clues 1 and 2. We headed to the Knowlton School of Architecture to discover some chairs. First off was the Barcelona chair. The Barcelona chair was designed by Mies van der Rohe. Something I found very interesting about the chair was that, during the World Arts Fair where they were designed for the German pavilion, the King and Queen of Spain had used them as seats when visiting the pavilion. Rohe had to make sure that his design of the chair was functional, comfortable, and light, which caused him some stress.
 |
| Just contemplating life in the Barcelona chair. |
Clue 2 was just a few steps away from the Barcelona chair. The magazine Gered is reading is Modernism magazine.
 |
| A relaxing day with good ol' modernism... |
For our last clue,
clue 5, we were tasked with finding a building designed by Acock & Associates. We googled it and found that the Thompson library was actually one of their works on campus. Something interesting I found about the construction of the building was that they had to use very safe and reliable lifting devices to lift the large blocks of stone, as most of them weighed between 1300-3000lbs!
No comments:
Post a Comment